ANSWERING THE CYBER-ATHEIST
“Cyber-Atheism is the veritable North Korea of the internet, and if you intend to interfere in any way shape or form with the minds of their people, you can expect a reaction. And a new atheist reaction is something to behold indeed. Any shard of religious identity you would dare express shall be ripped asunder, sections of your brain will be ridiculed beyond reason, well-rehearsed choruses from the sacred scriptures of Hitchens and Harris will be recited verbatim in your general direction, you will be laden with the burdens of every remotely god-believing human being for the last two thousand years, reviled as an advocator of terrorism, genital mutilation and human sacrifice, but most incongruously and insultingly of all—you will be called irrational and oppressive.”--Bo Jinn
If you have expressed your faith anywhere online (e.g. Facebook, discussion boards, article comments, etc.) chances are you have encountered the acrimonious tirades of the cyber-atheist. This section will focus on answering the rhetoric of the cyber-atheist. Below are real life examples from atheists and responses that cause them to recoil. We do not advocate throwing pearls before swine here, but we do advocate being able to provide an answer to something posted online that could stumble your brother or sister in Christ.
Click on the STARTING THE DISCUSSION button below for axioms to keep the discussion simple and moving forward, laying out the ground rules, and letting the cyber-atheist know that you are aware of their tactics that amount to nothing more than empty rhetoric; thus, you will call them out on it and not let them get away with it.
Click on the RECOIL button below for tips on ending the discussion while making the cyber-atheist consider the absurdity of his worldview along with anything he communicates.
Just click on the atheist remark below to see the response to the charge/claim:
- " The Philosophical and Scientific arguments for God all have one central flaw in common; they are all arguments from ignorance. 'I don't understand X, therefore God causes X.' That's not an argument for anything; it's a logical fallacy."
- "In order for me to consider a prophecy to be truly fulfilled, the prophecy must not be able to be fulfilled by people who already believe in it."
- "The concept of objective morality pointing to a creator is nonsense. Objective morals were developed as a survival adaptation and have evolved over time. The fact that humans have developed morals, and that they have evolved over our recorded history (women’s rights, don’t hold slaves, interracial marriage) shows it’s a product of human social evolution and not a god or divine fiat."
- "Everybody is born an atheist; people only believe in God because others have told them to, generally at a very young age."
- "By Ockhan's razor, God is an unnecessary being because an eternal universe is a simpler explanation of our universe."
- "The Bible is only one book, heavily mistranslated, edited, and rewritten over centuries as it was passed down from different self-serving sources of power and authority."